Matthew DeGioia, Esq
I believe in taking a client-centered approach to the practice of law. I want to make sure that you as a client are seen and heard, and that your concerns are fully addressed every time we connect. I also believe in taking a measured and efficient approach to advocacy. I will zealously fight for you, and represent you in a way that maximizes your resources and time.
Outside of the firm, I serve as a Social Security Benefits Advisor for Christian Legal Aid of DC, where I guide and train volunteer lawyers on how to represent Social Security Disability claimants before administrative law judges at the Social Security Administration.
Originally from Queens, New York, I earned a Bachelor of Arts in Religion from the George Washington University in Washington, DC, where I majored in Religion with a concentration in Judaic Studies. I earned my Juris Doctorate from the George Washington University Law School, where I served as Senior Managing Editor for the law school’s Journal of Energy and Environmental Law.
I am a member of the Maryland Association for Justice and the American Bar Association.
- Andalman & Flynn, P.C., Associate Attorney (December 2020 – present)
- Christian Legal Aid of the District of Columbia, Social Security Benefits Advisor (June 2020 – present)
- Mid-Atlantic Innocence Project, Legal Extern (January 2020 – April 2020)
- CASA for Children of DC, Court Appointed Special Advocate (July 2018 – July 2019)
- Andalman & Flynn, P.C., Law Clerk (May 2015 – December 2020)
- Pascal & Weiss, Law Clerk (December 2014 – May 2015)
- DC Office of the Inspector General, Legal Intern (September 2014 – November 2014)
- Binder & Binder, P.C., Legal Writer and Case Manager (July 2013 – July 2014)
- The George Washington University Law School, Juris Doctor, May 2020
- Recipient of President’s Volunteer Service Award – University Pro Bono Recognition
- Senior Managing Editor, Journal of Energy and Environmental Law
- George Washington University, Bachelor of Arts, 2013
- Religion, with a concentration in Judaic Studies, Magna Cum Laude
- Maryland: All State Courts and The United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- Washington, DC: The Superior Court for the District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- Maryland Association for Justice, Inc.
Publications and Presentations
- E. Andalman, P. Casciano, & M. DeGioia, Disability Benefits: 2019 Year in Review © 2020, Maryland Association for Justice, Trial Reporter, Special Edition 2020.
- E. Andalman, P. Casciano, & M. DeGioia, Nuts and Bolts of Handling Long Term Disability Benefit Claims and Appeals, © 2019, NOSSCR Seminar, Fall 2019
- M. DeGioia, Overboard? The Complexity of Traditional TMDL Calculations Under the Clean Water Act, © 2019, 49 ELR 11150.
- E. Andalman, P. Casciano, & M. DeGioia, How To Prevail Under the New Social Security Rules for the Evaluation of Medical Evidence © 2017, Maryland Association for Justice Seminar, Winter 2018
- M. Flynn & M. DeGioia, The Duties and Protections of a Child’s Best Interest Attorney in Maryland © 2018, Maryland Association for Justice, Trial Reporter, Spring 2018