Receiving a cancer diagnosis is a traumatic event that often has patients questioning every aspect of their lives. Our lawyers at Andalman & Flynn fight for the benefits our clients deserve so that they can concentrate on their recovery. We have an established record of success in assisting clients to secure the benefits to which they are entitled, including successful claims based on cancer.
Contact us today at 301-563-6685 for a free consultation.
What Is Cancer?
There are hundreds of different types of cancer, each with different symptoms and characteristics. Not all forms of cancer are terminal in nature. Common forms of cancer treatment include chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery.
Some types of cancer that may qualify for benefits include:
- Advanced adrenal cancer
- Advanced bladder cancer
- Aggressive brain cancer
- Breast cancer that has spread, recurrent or is inoperable
- Advanced or inoperable colon cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Advanced kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Lung cancer
- Melanoma that has spread
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma or Hodgkin’s disease
- Peritoneal mesothelioma
- Pancreatic cancer
- Recurrent or progressive prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Uterine cancer
Establishing Evidence for Disability Benefits
While a cancer diagnosis in limited cases can mean an automatic approval, most cases require an assessment based on medical documentation of a claimant’s restrictions, symptoms, and limitations. Factors that a disability adjudicator will consider include whether the cancer is inoperable, has spread, or recurs after treatment.
Some medical evidence that may be evaluated includes:
- Admission records to hospitals
- Discharge records from hospitals
- Doctor visit notes
- Blood work reports
- MRI scans
- CT scans
- Operative reports regarding cancer tissue
- Medical documentation regarding the location of the cancer
- Medical documentation regarding the provided treatment and response to treatment
- Medical documentation pertaining to the symptoms of the cancer before and after treatment
- Medical documentation that identifies the tumor as primary, recurrent or metastatic
Cancer Disability Benefits
Individuals who have cancer and can no longer work because of this disease may be eligible to receive different kinds of disability benefits, including:
- Social Security Disability benefits
- SSI benefits
- State disability retirement benefits for workers contributing into a state pension system
- Teacher disability benefits
- Short/Long Term Disability Retirement benefits
- Federal Disability Retirement (FDR) benefits for Federal and Postal Service workers
Schedule a Consultation with Maryland Cancer Disability Lawyers
At Andalman & Flynn, an attorney will work both on initial applications and appeals. We can assist with collecting medical records, reports, and other expert evidence such as vocational evaluations and Independent Medical Evaluations to help you maximize your chances of winning your claims. Each area of disability benefits has a different process, and we can help you through all of them so that you can get the disability benefits that you deserve!
Contact us today and we’ll do our best to make your life a little simpler with the cancer disability benefits you deserve in Montgomery County, Maryland.