What is a Prenuptial Agreement?
A prenuptial agreement is a contract entered into prior to marriage by the persons intending to marry. A prenuptial agreement may also be called an antenuptial agreement or premarital agreement.
Features of a Prenuptial Agreement
Prenuptial agreements vary widely in their content and can offer opportunities to determine:
- what happens with certain property
- to set forth frameworks for future decision making
- to establish clear expectations for the management of financial and other matters
- to detail the sharing of responsibilities
- to support estate plans, tax plans, or similar income, asset or liability protection measures
- and to document other special considerations of the parties.
Benefits of Prenuptial Agreements
As a result, prenuptial agreements have the potential to:
- promote important discussions between the parties
- facilitate relevant disclosures by each person
- encourage thoughtful planning
- reduce future conflicts
- limit future court involvement
- and reduce future attorney time and expense.
Contact Andalman & Flynn for Prenuptial Agreements in Maryland
Our experienced family law lawyers at Andalman & Flynn in Maryland are familiar with how to explore your opinions, to protect your interests, to negotiate, and to draft prenuptial agreements. For help with your specific circumstances, contact us online today to set up a consultation.
You May Also Be Interested In…