Unpaid Child Support May Lead to License Suspension in MD
We offer appointments by phone, video, or in-person.
Andalman and Flynn logo

Failure to Pay Child Support Can Result in a Driver’s License Suspension for Maryland Residents

Aug 23, 2013 | Child Support

By:  Amanda Vann, Esq.
Phone: 301-563-6685
Email:  Avann@a-f.net

Did you know that paying your child support more than 60 days late can result in a suspension of your driving privileges? The Maryland Child Support Enforcement Administration, commonly referred to as CSEA, has the authority to advise the MVA to suspend your driving privileges for unpaid child support.

Before notifying the MVA, CSEA must send you a written notice that includes an explanation of your right to request an investigation if you disagree with the suspension. It is important that you do not miss the deadline stated within this notice. You should immediately contact CSEA, not the MVA, as CSEA is the only one with the authority to address unpaid child support payments. To prevent your license from being suspended, you have two options:

  1. pay the entire amount owed, or
  2. work out an agreement with CSEA to make your current payments and pay additional fees towards arrearages in order to keep your license active.

Child Support License Suspension in Maryland

If you have already been issued a child support license suspension in the state of Maryland, you can either file a motion with the court that issued the child support order and state your reasons for needing your license or you can contact CSEA explaining why you need your license. For example, you may need your license to complete school or training.

If you are working and your license is required to get to and from work or for work, then you should apply for a restricted license. To do this, you need to contact CSEA and explain why you need the restricted license—you should be aware you will have to provide them with proof of employment, such as a letter from your employer. CSEA will then give you the proper paperwork to take to the MVA so you can obtain your restricted driver’s license.

The family law lawyers at Andalman & Flynn have experience with legal matters pertaining to child support in Maryland. If you have any questions about obtaining a child support order, enforcing a child support order, or making changes to a child support order, please contact attorney Amanda Vann or fill out a contact form directly from our website.