October 25th, 2017 was the kick off of the Montgomery County Maryland Pride Center for the LGBTQ community serving MoCo and the surrounding suburbs. I very much enjoyed taking part in the celebration of the new community center that will act as a virtual resource for people in the LGBTQ community. Although there is not a physical space at the moment, the launch party included a silent auction to raise funds with visions to build a community center in the future.
The celebratory event brought together over 125 community allies and members that included the Montgomery County Council and Police Department. The Pride Center envisions itself as a resource center where people can gather for networking, support, social gatherings, and much more.
The MoCo Pride Center is a 501(c)3 organization whose visionaries’ goal is for the center to be a leading resource in Montgomery County and to promote advocacy. The center will be providing an array of resources to the LGBTQ community and their allies. The center’s mission: “[ . . .] is to organize, support, educate, and provide outreach to the LGBTQ community and its allies” (MoCo Pride Center)1. Furthermore, the organization will strive to:
- Promote dignity and respect for all individuals
- Encourage authenticity and honesty in self-expression
- Connect community members and create a network of support for youth, adults, and families
- Organize and engage the LGBTQ community and our allies to build a movement to advance the rights, dignity and respect of all members of our community (MoCo Pride Center)
More events are soon to come, such as establishing the first gay pride event in the area, so stay tuned!
Andalman & Flynn is proud to be a supporter of the LGBTQ community and we look forward to the Pride Center expanding in MoCo and beyond. To keep up with any new and fun happenings at the Pride Center, visit https://www.mocopridecenter.org and their Facebook page. Their phone number is (240) 542-8772.
If you are in need of experienced assistance in addressing legal issues arising out of any type of family relationship, contact Andalman & Flynn today.
1 MoCo Pride Center. (2017). About Us. Retrieved November 2, 2017, from the MoCo Pride Center website: https://www.mocopridecenter.org
You may also be interested in:
- Inequality of Alimony Considerations for Same-Sex Couples
- Is Adultery Grounds for Divorce in Gay or Lesbian Marriages?
- Do I Have to Pay for My Spouse’s Health Insurance When Going Through a Divorce?